Create your own Mail Art with Mou Saha


Hi everyone, Mou Saha, contributing writer for Creating Keepsakes magazine here with today’s post.

You probably have heard about mail art. According to Wikipedia, “Mail art is a worldwide cultural movement that began in the early 1960s and involves sending visual art (but also music, sound art, poetry, etc.) through the international postal system. Mail Art is also known as Postal Art or Correspondence Art.”

Recently, one of my artist friends shared this amazing book called Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art with me and gifted me this stamp…

I used the stamp on today’s project.

I took a 9” x 6” clasp envelope and applied some white acrylic paint with a palette knife. Once the paint dried, I laid a plastic alphabet stencil and misted the envelope with Antique Patina Metallic Maya Mist. After the mist dried, I added some paper and fabric scraps from the table and some washi tapes from Hambly. I layered a sunburst stencil from The Crafter’s Workshop and color misted with Studio Calico Mister Huey’s Hot Dog. I stamped Next Day Air and 2nd Day Air using the above stamp. Finally, I cut out a bird from an old calendar and layered it on top with adhesive.




With various postmark stamps available, you can make your envelope look more authentic. My envelope is not going in the mail, but it’s going into my art journal.

Hope you have fun with your version of mail art!

Thanks, Mou! I'm super inspired to use some envelopes as my canvas now! Have any of you ever made mail art? -Katie

To view more work by Mou Saha, Click here to visit her blog.