Gelli Printed Newspaper Art Journal

Today I'm using newspaper in my art journal page, Julie Fei-Fan Balzer has a weekly feature on her blog called "Art Journal Every Day" and today she's featuring 3 bloggers using newspaper in their pages.

I have to say, I was thrilled when Julie asked me to contribute to one of her Art Journal Every Day posts. I love her work, and her blog is definitely on my daily reading list. I don't journal every day, but I love playing in my journal and I do try to do it often.

My page is about 2 of my favorites- Books and Tea. I am a tea junkie and a book worm, so on this page I used my favorite quote from C.S. Lewis: "You can never get a cup of tea large enough, or a book long enough to suit me."


I love playing with my gelli plate, so I decided I'd use newspaper as a base and do a few gelli prints to see how they turned out. I used my 2 favorites on this journal page, but the others will probably end up in my journal somewhere else.
I have the 6" gelli plate and a 7" art journal so there is space around my prints where you can see the newspaper, I went over parts of it with a metallic mint blue gelato.


I'm really happy with the way this turned out! The print on the newspaper pops out just enough so that it's not distracting, but it adds some visual interest.
For the book and teacup I painted it on with gesso and then outlined it with a black Sakura glaze pen which really makes it stand out. I did the same thing with my quote on the right page.
I love how smoothly the Sakura Glaze pen writes on the page.


Marina Johan and Michelle LaPoint are the other bloggers using newspaper and their takes on it are just lovely! Hop over to Balzer Designs to see what they did and take a peek around Julies blog! There's so much inspiration. :)