Adventures in Resin

One of my most recent crafting experiments has been playing with resin. My Mom and Sister got me some resin supplies for my birthday so I've been playing with it and then I also got some new molds for Christmas to use with resin.

I plan on using all of my little resin pieces as fun embellishments, either in my scrapbooks and art or maybe in jewelry projects!

Some thoughts/tips on resin:

  • Regular resin dries an opaque white color, so if you're wanting a clear embellishment you need to get ICE resin. I have both.
  • You can use resin specific molds or silicone molds. I tried a plastic mold (like a candy mold) and the resin stuck to it. Most of my molds are silicone molds from Wilton meant for cake decorating but the resin pops right out of it!
  • I've used supplies on hand to color my resin, here's what I've found: Alcohol inks will color the resin nicely, but food coloring reacts badly with the resin and it doesn't cure properly.
  • I tried doing some resin on a humid day, and while the resin did cure, the backs of my resin embellishments were just slightly tacky.



Have any of you tried or used resin? It takes practice to figure out, but I really like making my own little embellishments.