DIY Galaxy Marquee Art

Did you know the HubbleSite has free images of outer space? As a nerd, this makes me happy. I love galaxies and marquees are extremely popular right now. The Small Magellanic Cloud is magical so I used it to make this pretty piece of art.


Supplies: Galaxy image from the Hubble, Canvas, Mod Podge, Paint Brush, Awl, Battery Powered LED Lights

1. I definitely recommend going to an office store and having the picture enlarged. I used a picture of the Small Magellanic Cloud. I was impatient and didn't want to wait so I split my photo up in photoshop and printed it on multiple pieces of photo paper.



2. Cover your canvas in a coat of Mod Podge and place your photo on top. I didn't brush a top coat, but I did spray a coat of Mod Podge acrylic spray on top.


3. Decide where you want your lights. Use an awl to punch holes through your canvas, making the holes large enough for the lights to go through.


4. On the backside of your canvas, push your lights through your holes.


5. Secure your battery packs. I simply used packing tape to keep them in place.


This is so easy, just a little Mod Podge and Christmas lights make such a cool piece of art.