Tips for Cutting your own Stencil Masks


Hey everyone, Today I am up on the Hazel and Ruby blog sharing my settings and tips for using their "cut your own stencil" material on die cut machines. I decided to share them with you guys here, as well in case you are curious about what settings to use!

I love using Hazel and Ruby's stencil masks on my projects and while there are a good variety of shapes and fonts already available you can also purchase the stencil mask material to cut your own stencils!


Silhouette Portrait

Settings:
  • Blade: 4
  • Speed: 5
  • Thickness: 15
  • Double Cut

At a thickness of 15, the silhouette cuts through the mask material, but not the backing. Which I like so that I can easily place my mask back on the backing sheet after I'm done using it.


Brother ScanNCut

Settings:
  • Blade: 4
  • Speed: 5
  • Pressure: 2

I did these settings so that the machine cuts through only the mask material and not the backing, just like on my Silhouette.


Spellbinders Artisan X-Plorer

To cut my material in my manual die cutter (the Artisan X-Plorer) This is how I stacked my plates/dies:

  • Base Plate
  • Die
  • Mask Material
  • Cut Plate

My best tip is to always do a test cut if you're not sure of the settings. On both the Brother and the Silhouette you have the option of doing a "test cut" and you can just use a tiny die on a manual machine to test out the settings.

This was you know for sure if they'll work without having to cut your whole design. It's disappointing when you unload the mat and find that it hasn't cut all the way through.

I hope you find these settings and tricks helpful! The other design team members have been sharing their tips this week as well so be sure to look back at the previous posts!