12 Book Themed Crafts to Make

*waves* Hi, guys! I want to thank Katie for letting me hang out here at Punk Projects today!  My name is Jessica (I go by coffeelvnmom on most social media). I'm a YA author, and I actually met Katie on Twitter (I think???) over a year ago. Since then, I've drooled over Katie's posts many-a-time, and she's also (very) generously shared her awesome sauce craft skills more than once for giveaways on my blog (as well as blessing me with a few of her creations, just because! Sweet, huh?) With all of that said, I'm sure it will come as no surprise to find out that today we're going to check out some.... 

BOOKISH CRAFTS!!! WOOHOO!

And on that note, what is THE most important thing when reading? Not to lose your place, of course! :D We'll start out with some lovely bookmark crafts so you don't have to use that candy bar wrapper anymore!

1) Ribbon Bookmarks (LINK)


DIY Ribbon Bookmarks (ribbon, hairbands, and buttons!) -- 29 of the MOST creative crafts and activities for kids!

According to Lilly at Listotic, these bookmarks are simple to make (and they look very inexpensive, too). Add a few fun buttons and personalized ribbon and you're all set!

2) Teacup Bookmark (LINK)


Aren't these the cutest? :) Trish at Genuine Mugpie has a great tutorial (including downloadable templates)! 


3) Paper Dahlia Wreath (LINK)
Paper Dahlia Wreath

I have a thing for dahlias (they're a pretty important part of the Flora series), and Katie shared this lovely paper dahlia wreath tutorial by Tabitha at Love, Pomegranate House here at Punk Projects a little over a year ago! This tutorial uses nice, colored paper, but you can also use book pages


4) Bookish Quote Pillow (LINK)
Turn a plain old pillow into a keepsake!
Amanda at Whit & Whistle shared a pretty simple way to make a quote pillow. Course, it doesn't *have* to be bookish... It could be anything! I love how simple this is. And, if you're a bit more crafty and like to handwrite fonts, you could do that, as well!


5) Bookish Initial (LINK)
100_6411
This idea actually came from an old post on Book Riot regarding creative ways to wrap books. You could use metallic letters, wood, or paper mache! :)

6) Clock Centerpiece (LINK)


Isn't this a unique idea? This one's used to mark table numbers at a wedding by Jennifer at HillCityBride, but you could also make a real clock, too! (Check out this tutorial.)


7) Literary Notecards and Envelopes (LINK)

Alice in Wonderland and Cheshire Cat Silhouette Literary Book Print Notecard with Envelope- Set of 5

I love love love this. And if you don't want to take the time to make them, you can order them from ShesComeUnbound for $5!


8) Book Birdhouse (LINK)
decorative birdhouses

Isn't this an *ahem* novel idea? (Hehehe... had to go there.) I love this. It would be so cute sitting on a covered patio or on a coffee table in a sunroom!



9) Salvaging a Book for journaling (or anything else)! (LINK)

I found this post here on Punk Projects from a couple of years ago. I love how Mou Saha uses stamps and acrylics to make it look so bright and lively. You could make a whole lot more than just journals using this technique.


10) Bookish Cupcake Pics (LINK)
Vintage Book Page Heart Cupcake Picks

Aren't these heart pics by thePathLessTraveled adorable? You could use classics, books too worn to read anymore, kids' books for a birthday party, Jane Austen ones for a wedding... the possibilities are endless! 


11) Book Planter (LINK)

Yet another post I found here at PP. I've seen these as centerpieces at weddings, as window box decorum, and given as gifts. Definitely a neat, personalized gift that is pretty inexpensive!

and... last but not least, one of my favorite (pretty easy for even for those not very crafty, like me!)...



12) Bookpage Jars/Candleholders (LINK)

Sarah at Arrow & Apple breaks down the way to get lovely bookish jars with minimum hastle.

Well, I hope ya'll found at least one bookish craft to work on! :) A big thanks to Katie for inviting me, and to you, readers, for letting me spend the day with you!


Jessica L. Brooks is a lover of books, coffee, and all things owl-dorable. She writes young adult books about near-future dystopia (PITY ISN'T AN OPTION, Cozenage #1) and magical realism (the Flora series) and loves to serve virtual cookies. Connect with her on her blog, Let Me Tell You A Story, Twitter (@coffeelvnmom), or anywhere else on the interwebs by doing a search for her username: coffeelvnmom.