Easy Faux Watercolor Look using Markers


You all know that I love watercolors (okay, so I love most mediums... shhhh!). They are not only vibrant and colorful, but also so fun to work with. They have a certain style to them that is fun and artsy.

What if you don't have any watercolors, but want the look? I've got a solution for you!

DIY Faux Watercolor Coloring.


For this technique you'll need water based markers. What I used, and recommend, are Tombow's Dual Brush Pens. I used the set of secondary colors and they blended really nicely.

I used this technique to color in the stamped house below. If you want to see how then just keep reading. :)



Supplies: Water Based Markers, Craft Mat or Palette, Paint Brush, Water

1. Stamp your image onto watercolor paper. This is optional, but if you're coloring a stamped image like me, go ahead and stamp it. :)
If you're wondering, this house stamp is by Paper Wings Productions.



2. Color with one of your markers onto a craft mat. It doesn't have to be a craft mat, but you need a non stick surface that the ink won't stick to. Try a craft mat, freezer paper, a palette, or an acrylic block.


3. Dip your paintbrush in a small dish of water to moisten it, then rub it over the ink to pick it up.


4. Use your paint brush and color in your image, as you would with normal watercolors.


5. Repeat steps 2-4 with multiple colors!


I like how this technique gives the image an actual painted look, as opposed to a marker look.


What do you think? Is this something you've done?