DIY Ombre Beach Tins for Summer


If you're new here, I post recycled Pirouline tin crafts every month! You can find them all here.

Earlier this month I shared Pirouline Cookie tins that I painted to look like watermelons, and now I want to share a second project for the month- Beach tins!

There is still plenty of time to hit the beach before Summer is over and everyone heads back to school, so now is a great time to make some beach tins! What are they?  Just fun, embellished tins to take to the beach with you! You could store basically anything in them- snacks, rocks, etc. 

I used the large tin to collect sea glass, shells and rocks in! I LOVE hunting for sea glass, so this tin is super handy for storing the pieces I find (rather than putting them in my pocket and losing them!).


Supplies:

  • Empty tins
  • 1" paint brush
  • White acrylic paint
  • Colored Acrylic Paints (I used Pink, Orange and Yellow)
  • Pencil
  • Liquid Glue
  • Decoupage Medium
  • Gold Glitter
  • Small #3 Paintbrush


1. Paint your tins ombre! Do this by painting the bottom third of the tin with your colored acrylic paint, and while it is still wet, slowly add white acrylic paint to your paint brush and blend the color upwards on the tin, so it gets lighter and lighter.


2. Use a pencil and lightly sketch out a shape onto the front of the tin. I recommend an ocean theme, I drew a star fish (the easiest!), a dolphin and a turtle.


3. Fill the shape in with liquid glue, and while it is still wet, sprinkle gold glitter over it.

Flip the tin over onto a extra sheet of paper (to save the excess glitter!). You can use a dry brush to clean up your shapes and brush off any glitter flakes that may be where they don't belong.


4. Let the glitter/glue dry completely, and then paint over the glitter with a decoupage medium to seal it. This keeps the glitter from coming off at a touch.



Other fun shapes to draw on- whales, suns, flip flops, sun glasses, crabs, shells, waves, etc! The possibilities are endless!

Have you been to the ocean yet this Summer?

I live about 30 minutes from the Puget Sound, but this past weekend we were out at Port Worden, which is where I took these photos.


You can find out more about the yummy Pirouline Cookies here: Website | Twitter | Facebook