DIY Recycled Tin Can Lantern Autumn Decor

If you're new here, I post recycled Pirouline tin crafts every month! You can find them all here.

First I just want to say that this project is not meant for children- it does involve using a sharp craft knife, so please be careful when cutting tin!

Second, who's ready for Thanksgiving? I love decorating for Autumn, with its deep rich jewel tone colors. That is what inspired me to create this recycled tin lantern. I think it will make a great table centerpiece for the holidays!


Supplies:
  • Empty Pirouline Cookie Tins
  • Sharp Craft Knife
  • Awl
  • 12 Gauge Craft Wire
  • Metallic Pony Beads
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Paint Brush
  • Gold Paint Pen or Gold Acrylic Paint
  • Ribbon (I recommend May Arts)
  • Votive Candle


1. Start by drawing a circle onto your empty tin! You can print out a circle template to use as a stencil if you need to. 


2. Use your craft knife to cut out the circle.
As I stated at the beginning of the post, please be careful! I didn't cut myself, but craft knifes can be sharp!


3. Paint your tin.

I created my own paint color by mixing 2 of my favorites- Royal Ruby which is metallic and Deep Burgundy to make it a richer shade of red.


4. Use your awl to punch 2 holes on opposite sides of the tin and cut a 12" piece of craft wire.
Wrap one end of the craft wire through one of the holes and twist to secure

5. Slip pony beads over the wire, secure the second end through the opposite hole.



 6. Use either gold acrylic paint and a small paint brush, or a gold paint pen (what I used) to add a pattern onto your tin.

This step is completely optional, but I love the patterned look.


7. Cut a 20" piece of ribbon and tie it around one side of the wire.

I used some of this 1.5 Inch Sheer Ribbon With Glitter Dots.



That's it! Now just place a votive candle inside, light it, and place it on your table! 



You can see how to make the other projects in these photographs here:


You can find out more about the yummy Pirouline Cookies here: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram