DIY Supply Holder and Inspiration Box- a guest post from Campfire Kam

Hi Punk Project readers! This is Kam of Campfire Chic with a follow-up to two previous posts: Turning Your Twitter Feed into a Newspaper and Four DIY Craft Kits. I haven't been able to post a DIY project that's not related to the internet/computer in a long time, and I'm happy to have the opportunity to share this project with you :]

I previously used a plastic cup from one of my Alma Maters, and quite frankly things are out of control. I have markers, colored pencils, glue, and goodness knows what else rolling around my desk. And let me tell you, my desk is maybe 3 feet x 2 feet so I know a little something about needing to make the most of my space! That's where today's DIY comes in...

DIY: Supply Holder & Inspiration Box

What is an inspiration box? Essentially a four-sided inspiration board! It is perfect for those without the luxury of being able to hang things on walls. Also, if you're a shorty-like me- this box will most likely always be within arms reach ;)

  What you'll need: 
  • Cardboard drink holder-I used an IZZE box, but if you need more compartments, you can grab a package of other kinds of beverages to help you out ;)
  • Wood grain contact paper. My other thought was to use cute cardstock I've been hoarding...or decoupage used postage stamps.
  • Scissors
  • Thick cardstock or chipboard if your box doesn't close all the way at the base
  • A flat surface (this is where I ran into trouble)
  • Cute clips and other fun accessories
Are you ready for this?

Step 1: Gather your supplies. Make sure your box is empty...down those extra drinks! You also need to decide if you're going to cover it in contact paper-like I show here-or if you're going rouge and doing your own thing.
Step 2: Secure the base. You don't want any pesky crayons escaping...or worse...to pick up the box and have the bottom fall out! The worst. Here, I cut a piece of manila folder to fit the base. I slid it between the actual base and the rest of the box, taping it to the box using invisible tape.


Step 3: Channel your inner gift-wrapping-pro and eyeball how much contact paper you will need to cover the sides. For this IZZE box, the width of the roll was perfect, so I measured out a square. Excess is easily trimmed off later.


Step 3.5: Temporarily tape the box to the contact paper, it will make cutting so much easier. I did this using a single strip of invisible tape and rolling it sticky-side-out.

Step 4: Envision and create a 3x3 grid on your contact paper. Your box is in the center 'square' in this case. Using a permanent marker, complete the grid. From each corner of the box, draw a line to the corresponding edge. Each corner should have two lines going perpendicularly to the edges. See the photo below for a better idea.



Step 5: Cut along four of the lines from edge to box. Don't cut along all the lines. Select one side, cut those lines, and then go to the opposite side to cut the other lines. You should still have two sides (opposite one another) intact. See photo above for a visual

Step 6: Carefully tear off the paper. After you remove the box, that is! This is where I first encountered some trouble. Do the rest of this project on a clean, flat surface...not on carpet where curious kittens may decide it is time to play.


Step 7: Wrap the box in the contact paper. I hope you still have your gift wrapping hat on, because this gets tricky. And messy. As a perfectionist, I was freaking out with every little wrinkle and bubble...but as an 'embrace the uniqueness' crafter, I loved how not everything fit perfectly on my first attempt! Note: the handle portion of the box was covered separately, using a piece of scrap contact paper I had laying around. If you can wrap the box, you can totally cover the handle without a worry.


Step 8: Decorate your box! You pretty much created a supply holder at step 7, but it was a little plain, right? Here is your chance to make your box your own! I used some letter stickers to write a message on each side of the handle, and some large cardstock stickers from Sassafrass Lass and Cosmo Cricket to decorate each box side. I wanted to use items I've been hoarding for a while but admit would probably never make it onto one of my scrapbook layouts. I added the clips for when I want to include a note or add to my inspiration box...another reason I left a lot of space on the box--plenty of space to add some cute things!



This wood grain supply holder/inspiration box makes a great addition to my previously-DIY'd office supplies. I added some labels to the vertical wire rack (shown to the left in the photo above), as well as created a mini inspiration board for those of us with limited wall space...but can put tacks in the drywall!
Have you done/plan on doing any crafts to update your craft space?

Thank you, Katie, for allowing me to guest post on your blog today!

--------------
Kam is a twenty-something-year-old living in Southern California with her boyfriend and many animals. She blogs about her outdoor adventures and love for crafts on Campfire Chic and sells camping-themed items in an online shop of the same name. She enjoys hiking, camping, reading, and eating tacos.