How to Make Gelli Print Mandalas

Hey guys, today I wanted to show you these gelli print mandalas I did that are SO much fun to make!



First off, what is a Mandala? Let's see what the google says:
man·da·la  noun- a geometric figure representing the universe in Hindu and Buddhist symbolism.
It is a pattern in a circle, sometimes complex, sometimes abstract, but always in a circle.

I just love them as a design.
I though it might be fun to paint my own mandala patterns using the Gelli Plate by Gelli Arts. Gelli Plates are made for monoprinting, and Gelli Arts makes round gelli plates that I knew would be perfect for this!
I also took pictures along the way so you could see how I did it!


Supplies:

  • Round Gelli Plate - I used both the 4" and the 6" round gelli plates by Gelli Arts
  • Acrylic Paints
  • Small Paint Brush
  • Brayer
  • Paper



1. Start by squirting a small amount of acrylic paint onto the gelli plate.


2. Use a brayer to spread out the paint on the gelli plate.

I recommend having a scrap piece of paper off to the side to roll your brayer on afterwards, getting the extra paint off.


3. Take your paper and place it on top of your gelli plate. Rub your hand over it, pressing lightly, to make sure it picks up the paint.

Peel back your paper and let dry (which shouldn't take long).


4. Using black and white acrylic paints and a small paint brush, paint a design onto your gelli plate.

The trick here is that you have to work fast so that you print it before it dries. So don't make it too complicated a design, unless you're super fast.

You can of course use other colors if you wish, I like how the black and white contrasted the color.


5. While your design is still wet, put your printed circle over top of the gelli plate, printing it a second time.

6. Peel back and let dry.



You did it! Feel free to go crazy, making dozens of mandalas.

Here's a peek at all of the mandalas I made-



What colors/designs would your mandalas be?