Get Messy - Creating a Junk Journal


Hey Y’all! Last week Get Messy Art Journal launched their newest class! It’s called Pieces, It’s by Johanna Clough, and it's all about creating and using Junk Journals!

Even though I art journal all of the time, I've never made a specific "junk journal" so this was really fun to try.

In the course, Johanna shares a super easy binding technique (no sewing involved!), which is what I used to bind this journal.


I did my cover with paper scraps, paints and an interference medium through a stencil for a layered/mixed media/vintage look. I don't think it's my usual style, but I really like it!

I've been working my way through the lessons. I got about halfway through them before I left to go out of town for the holidays, so I will definitely be getting back to it once I travel home again.



 



I love the interaction lesson, where Johanna talks about adding tip-ins/flaps and envelopes and gives you all sorts of ideas for interactive pages, which I've always found fun.

Here is a peek at the rest of my journal. As I was binding it, I included lots of mixed papers, such as book pages, patterned scrapbook paper, magazine images, maps, vellum, etc.






I think I've found a new love for junk journals. You can learn more about Get Messy's newest class, Pieces, here.